Monday 10 June 2013

Healthy Potato Salad

Not wanted by my german class
I recently started eating a little red meat for the first time in my life in the interests of improving my chances to conceive/carry successfully.  We have a great butcher in our neighbourhood and Mr Duncan has been known to be a bit over-enthusiastic in his purchasing of the 'meat of the week' so we had some 'bonus' fresh sausages that needed using.

Abel and Cole provide potatoes in our veg box every week and at the moment they're dainty salad potatoes, however we really don't eat potatoes that fast so I'm forever skipping the potatoes in our order.  Additionally I ordered extra eggs for my custard making experiments but Mr Duncan came down with a really bad cold which has gone to his chest so I've banned him from dairy until it clears up.

Sounded like a barbeque to me - sausages with potato and tomato salads.

When I was at high school, one of the activities we did for my German class was hold a German pot-luck lunch.  As a very serious teen and a bit of a swot, I went to a lot of effort to research and translate a traditional german potato salad recipe from the library.  To my embarrasment and shame, I was the only one to bring a dish that required plates or cutlery and no one ate any, preferring the packaged cakes and crisps brought by other class members.  I was so mortified I abandoned my mother's only tupperware serving container with a lid that fit in the hope that no one would associate me with the debacle - healthy food!  Sorry Mum.

My potato salad recipe has evolved from that one.

Ingredients
  • Potatoes
  • Eggs
  • Gherkins
  • Onion
  • Plain yoghurt
  • Lemon juice
  • Wholegrain mustard
  • Fresh herbs

Method
Chop potatoes into evenly sized chunks and boil until just done, rinse with cold water and let cool.  Medium boil a couple of eggs in with the potatoes (rinse with cold water and let cool).  Finely slice some onion into half rings.  Chop up a few gherkins/pickled cucumbers.  Chop the eggs and gently mix it all together with dressing made from plain yoghurt, lemon juice (think 90:10), wholegrain mustard and salt/pepper to taste.  Throw in some fresh parsley or chives if you have some to hand.

If I dont have yoghurt I sometimes make an olive oil dressing - basically replacing the yoghurt with a bit of olive oil and using more lemon (50:50 ratio).

I also threw together a quick tomato salad with the mozzarella remaining from the pizza the other night, some onion and fresh basil drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

Tricolore





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...