Monday 12 August 2013

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili Sin Carne

Hot and healthy!
I've written of my regard for healthy mexican food in the past.  

When its cool, I often make a Chili Sin Carne - usually with a three bean mix, tomatoes and whatever veg is in the fridge.  Unfortunately, although we're only in the second week of August, it is noticably cooler than the past month or so.  Definitely too cool for a summer salad so today I thought I'd try making a super-fertility chili with sweet potato.  I'd never put white potato in a chili - it is too starchy, but sweet potato seems to cook without leaching anything so I thought it would work out okay.  And it did.

I normally buy dried beans and prepare a big pot, which I freeze in portions for later use throughout the year.  Because we are hoping for an Australian Visa any day now, I'm clearing out the freezer and cupboards and buying canned beans as we need them rather than stocking up.

Because canned beans usually include salt and whatever it is that causes wind if you dont prepare beans properly, I drain and rinse my canned beans and boil in a pot for a few minutes (until they release the scum) and drain and rinse again before I use them. 

Fertility Focus
Black beans are a good source of non-animal protein, rich in antioxidants and also provide folate, B6, iron, and zinc.
Sweet Potato is full of antioxidants, vitamin C and Vitamin A as well as being a source of potassium, calcium and iron.
Quinoa is a plant based form of protein, and contains all nine of the essential amino acids needed for cell renewal.
Kale is full of antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin K and is a good plant source of calcium.
Tomatoes are full of the antioxidant lycopene which boosts sperm health and also contain folate, B6, vitamin A and vitamin E. 
Avocado is high in Vitamin E which helps increase sperm mobility and keeps sperm from clumping together.


Ingredients
  • Canned black beans
  • Coconut oil
  • Cumin seeds
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Ground coriander
  • Smoked paprika
  • Fresh chilli to taste
  • Sweet potato, chopped into 1cm cubes
  • Canned tomatoes
  • Quinoa
  • Corn kernels
  • Courgette, chopped
  • Kale, finely chopped
  • Fresh tomato and avocado, cubed and mixed into a salsa to garnish.
NOTE: For four servings, I used about a cup of each vegetable, except the corn and courgette, which made up a cup together and the quinoa, which was about 1/4 cup.

Method

Heat the oil and cumin seeds in a large pot (I use my wok) until the cumin seeds are aromatic.  Add roughly chopped onion and garlic.  Saute until soft then add dried spices, finely chopped chilli and sweet potato cubes. Saute for about 5 minutes.  Add tomato and enough water to ensure the sweet potato is just covered.  Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in the black beans and quinoa.  Recover and cook for another 10 minutes.

Stir in corn kernels, courgette and kale and allow to cook, uncovered for about 5 more minutes, until the kale is bright green and the corn and courgette lightly cooked.

Top with a generous helping of tomato and avocado salsa and a touch of grated cheese.  I would have included lots of fresh coriander in the salsa had we had any.

L.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...