Saturday 17 August 2013

Roast Butternut, Feta and Basil Salad

Herby carby goodness
I hate the two week wait. I am only 12 DPO and I simultaneously want to pee on a stick RIGHT NOW and wait until 18 DPO so as not to be disappointed if there is any chance of a 'chemical' pregnancy.

Why do I want to test?

I am craving dairy. I don't even like dairy very much except when I am pregnant when I could live on custard, raita and breadsticks if I let myself.

My aureole are enlarged, darker and covered in Montgomery's Tubercles. This would have been a sign in March 2012 as I never had any changes in my breasts post O before I became pregnant with Poppy however now my body tricks me every other cycle with these signs.

I feel dizzy when I stand up, but have low blood pressure anyway. I might feel a little nauseous and gassy, but could that be the extra legumes I ate yesterday?

Gah!  I'm driving myself mental.

In a cursory nod to dairy, I went ahead and tried to re-create that butternut squash and feta salad I mentioned that time I got the hokkaido squash in my veggie box, throwing in some bonus sweet potato for good measure.

I still want custard though.

Fertility Focus:
Butternut Squash is rich in Vitamin A and also contains zinc and selenium which is important for ovarian and sperm health.
Sweet Potato is full of antioxidants, vitamin C and Vitamin A as well as being a source of potassium, calcium and iron.
Chickpeas are a good plant source of protein.

Ingredients

  • Olive oil
  • Butternut Squash
  • Sweet Potato
  • Cumin Seeds
  • Chickpeas
  • Fresh basil
  • Feta cheese

Method
Set your oven to 180 degrees C.  Peel and chop the butternut squash and sweet potato into bite sized pieces.  Toss veg in a spoonful of olive oil and spread on an oven tray.  Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes (depending on the size of your bites).  Remove and allow to cool.

Mix cooled roast veg with fresh basil leaves, chopped feta, cooked chickpeas and a sprinkle of cumin seeds.

I don't dress this further, as the olive oil from the roast veg works to lubricate it all but you could add a squeeze of lemon.

I also sometimes make this with boiled butternut squash as a lighter option.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...